The Alesco Illawarra Way
WEA Illawarra Vision
To improve the lives of people by offering them appropriate education and training in a nurturing and caring environment.
Alesco Illawarra Mission
Alesco Illawarra will provide a safe, respectful and inclusive environment in which young people can explore learning, develop their potential, and be well equipped to meet the challenges of education, work and life in the 21st Century.
Respect – acknowledging the importance of each person’s identity, needs, heritage, traditions, skills, knowledge, and aspirations, and having a commitment to honesty and open communication.
Collaboration – an interactive process that enables people with diverse expertise to generate creative solutions to mutually defined problems. The outcome is different and enhanced from the original solutions that any team member would produce independently.
Self-Reflection and Accountability – taking time to analyse and understand our own needs, thoughts and resulting behaviours, and taking responsibility for our actions.
Our school strives to lift up young people, developing in them renewed hope, self-worth, autonomy and optimism.
Our job is to help young people believe in themselves and to realise that they can shape their future and choose what it will be, regardless of what has come before.
We acknowledge that staff, students and caregivers are all on a learning journey together and we work hard to make sure nobody gets left behind.
We are committed to shaping the lives of young people so that they flourish and are positive contributors to their communities.
Our School Culture is characterised by:
- Acceptance and forgiveness
- Respect for self and others
- Championing growth
- Unconditional positive regard for each member of the school community
- Recognition and celebration of everyone’s giftedness
- No excuses
Our Learning and Teaching Practice is characterised by:
- The quality delivery of the NSW Curriculum
- Specialised strategies for healing, growth and achievement
- Belief that every student can learn, progress and succeed
- A shared commitment to growth mindset and lifelong learning
- Student-centred and engaging learning experiences
- An active student voice
- Practice that is evidence-based and reflective of current research
- Being well prepared