The Alesco Illawarra Way
WEA Illawarra Vision
To improve the lives of people by offering them appropriate education and training in a nurturing and caring environment.
Alesco Illawarra Mission
Alesco Illawarra will provide a safe, respectful and inclusive environment in which young people can explore learning, develop their potential, and be well equipped to meet the challenges of education, work and life in the 21st Century.
The Alesco Illawarra Way
We provide young people who have not found success in traditional secondary education models an opportunity to learn, grow and achieve success in a smaller, more informal and supportive learning environment.
We aim to create positive relationships with our students so we can help them to move forward with their education. Breaking down barriers between students and teachers creates an environment in which young people feel comfortable learning.
Our job is to help young people believe in themselves and to realise that they can shape their future and choose what it will be, regardless of what has come before.
We do this:
- Through the dedication of well qualified, passionate staff who are committed to the vision, mission and values of Alesco Illawarra.
- Through the provision of engaging teaching and learning programs, which encourage critical thinking and problem-solving, are tailored to student needs and interests and designed to prove student capabilities.
- Through the development of strong links with student support networks in the community including parents and carers, health and wellbeing service providers.
- By creating and promoting a culture of respect, healing and growth, using Trauma-Informed Positive Education practices.
- By acknowledging that staff and students are on a learning journey together and working hard to make sure nobody gets left behind.
Respect – acknowledging the importance of each person’s identity, needs, heritage, traditions, skills, knowledge, and aspirations, and having a commitment to honesty and open communication.
Collaboration – an interactive process that enables people with diverse expertise to generate creative solutions to mutually defined problems. The outcome is different and enhanced from the original solutions that any team member would produce independently.
Self-Reflection and Accountability – taking time to analyse and understand our own needs, thoughts and resulting behaviours, and taking responsibility for our actions.